In Episode 2 of Splendid Kitchen, Chef Glo shares easy to follow Asian-Inspired Vegetarian recipes as seen on Kumu’s KumunityStage.
Veggie Curry Ramen
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ medium onion, diced
- ½ inch ginger, julienned
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- ½ cup carrots cut thinly into coins
- 2 baby bok choy, cut in half lengthwise keeping the leaves and stems intact
- 8 oz noodles, choice of udon, ramen, or buckwheat
- Kosher salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Fresh cilantro or Chinese celery
- Sliced jalapenos, optional
- Lime or calamansi slices
- Boil noodles according to package instructions, set aside.
- Saute garlic, onion, and ginger until fragrant and onion is translucent.
- Add curry powder, coconut milk, vegetable stock, and bring to a boil.
- Add carrots and mushrooms and simmer until done.
- Add bok choy and simmer until half cooked.
- Add sugar snap peas and turn off the heat, finish with sesame oil, and cover.
In a medium-sized bowl, twirl in a single serving of noodles, arrange the vegetables, and pour in broth. Garnish with cilantro, sliced jalapeno, and lime wedges.
Tofu Lettuce Wrap
- 1 cup medium-firm tofu, drained and roughly crushed
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans
- 1/2 carrots, small dice
- 1 small jicama, small dice
- 1 small red bell pepper, small dice
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 tbsp chopped Chinese celery
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 tbsp liquid seasoning
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sesame seeds
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, separated individually and kept in ice-cold water
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in garlic, onion, liquid seasoning sauce, until onions have become translucent, about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in carrots and cook for about 3 minutes until tender.
- Add jicama and bell peppers and cook for 1-3 more minutes;
- Add garbanzo beans and crushed tofu, season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Mix water and cornstarch then add to vegetable mixture and bring to a boil.
- To serve, spoon several tablespoons of the vegetable mixture into the center of a lettuce leaf, taco-style.
- Top with crushed peanuts, sesame seeds and chili oil.
Mango Lemongrass Dumpling
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small chunks
- 1 ripe mango, small dice
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch dispersed in 1 tbsp water
- ¼ cup lemongrass syrup
- Wonton Wrappers
- Lemongrass Syrup
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 stalk lemongrass, smashed and cut into inch pieces
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Prepare lemongrass syrup by bringing water, lemongrass, and sugar to a full boil. Continue to boil for 5 mins. Let it sit to cool down and steep the flavors.
- In a small saucepan, sauté mango in butter and add lemongrass syrup.
- Add cornstarch slurry and bring to a boil. Completely cool down. The mixture should be very thick. Spoon onto one side of a round wonton wrapper. Seal and fold creating a half-moon dumpling.
- Air fry or deep fry until nice and golden.
- Brush with melted butter and dip into cinnamon-sugar.
- Serve hot.
Splendid Kitchen streams every Sunday on KumunityStage at 8:30 am. We would love to hear your feedback, please tag us @sweetspicesbyglo and @PalabasTayo on Instagram and show us your delicious renditions of this meal.