Chinese New Year is all about traditions, spending time with family, and food. In the Mandarin Language, “Fish (pronounced as ‘yu’) signifies abundance and is a sign of prosperity. Steamed whole fish is normally served during this celebration. Here’s a very quick and easy Lucky Fish recipe that only takes 10-15 minutes to prepare. Instead of steaming the fish, it is cooked ‘en papillote’ in French, or ‘al cartoccio’ in Italian, is a method of cooking in which the food is put into a folded pouch or parcel made out of parchment paper and then baked. The resulting dish is moist, tender, and packed with concentrated flavors from the aromatics, seasonings, and the product’s own juices. I serve this dish with a vegetable stir fry.
Serves 1 (feel free to multiply the recipe for more serving)
SALMON EN PAPILOTTE
- 2 oz salmon fillet, or any fish of choice
- 1 tbsp julienned ginger
- 1 tbsp julienned white onion
- 1 tbsp julienned scallions
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 pieces of parchment paper
VEGETABLE STIR FRY
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- ¼ cup bell pepper, julienned (I used yellow and red)
- 1 tbsp white onion, julienned
- 1-2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- Preheat your oven to 475F.
- Place your fish on a piece of parchment paper and arrange the aromatics (ginger, onions, and scallions on top of the fish; pour over half of the soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Cover with the other piece of parchment. Crimp and fold the parchment paper, sealing the edges so the fish can steam in the seasoning and its own juices. Bake for 7-10 mins.
- While waiting for the fish to finish baking, prepare your vegetable stir fry. In a pan, saute onion in cooking oil until fragrant, add cabbage and season with pepper and a pinch of salt to draw out the sweetness from the cabbage. Add water and let it cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and stir fry for a minute. Add oyster sauce and saute the vegetables for 1 more minute.
- Take the fish out of the oven. Carefully open your package and let the steam out.
- Arrange vegetable stir fry in a plate or large bowl then place the baked fish on top. Top with more fresh scallions, the rest of soy sauce, and sesame oil.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe. We would love to hear your feedback, please tag us @sweetspicesbyglo and @PalabasTayo on Instagram and show us your delicious renditions of this meal. Gong Hei Fat Choi!