Comfort food is different for everyone depending on where you grew up. With the popularity of Korean culture including food continue to rise in the Philippines and worldwide, Kimchi Spam Fried Rice has become one of the top comfort food choices. Kimchi and Spam, why not?
A quick tip: make sure that you are using day-old or at least cooled-down steamed rice. This will ensure that all the moisture is absorbed back into the rice kernels so that you won’t end up with a sticky or mushy dish. I used liquid seasoning instead of regular soy sauce for added umami. For added flavor, you can eat this rice dish with Gochujang and Kewpie mayonnaise. You can make a side of Asian Salad to round up a well-balanced meal.
Kimchi Spam Fried Rice (Serves 6-8)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 ½ cup medium diced luncheon meat, I used SPAM 25% less sodium
- 1 cup kimchi, roughly chopped
- 6 cups day-old rice
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp kimchi juice (from the bottom of the jar)
- 2 tbsp liquid seasoning or soy sauce
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 6-8 eggs
- 1 roasted nori sheet, cut into thin strips
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced scallions
- Pinch of Gochugaru or Korean chili powder, optional
- In a wok, heat oil and saute onions until fragrant.
- Add spam and cook until sides are slightly golden brown.
- Add tomato paste, kimchi, liquid seasoning, and kimchi juice and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add rice and stir fry for about 10 minutes making sure that everything is homogeneous.
- Finish with butter and sesame oil.
- Fry up the eggs, sunny side style and serve over the fried rice.
- Garnish with scallions, nori strips, and gochugaru.
- 3 cups mixed sweet baby lettuce, washed and dried
- ¼ cup sweet red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- ¼ cup ripe mangoes, cut into thin strips
- ½ cup thinly sliced cucumbers
- 2-3 tbsp of roasted sesame and ginger dressing
- ½ tsp sesame seeds for garnish
Toss all the salad ingredients in a large bowl and serve immediately.
We would love to hear your feedback, please tag us @sweetspicesbyglo and @PalabasTayo on Instagram and show us your delicious renditions of this meal.
Click here for more stories like this. Make sure to follow and subscribe to our social media accounts: Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, and Kumu.