Ever wondered how the gods in ancient mythology ate? Well, these Greek recipes will give you an idea of what it feels and tastes like. Try these Greek Recipes as seen in my Splendid Kitchen show on Kumu!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 white or yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 lb ground beef or any combination of beef and pork or chicken or turkey
- ¾ cup red wine
- 28 oz canned crushed tomato
- 2 beef bouillon cubes, crumbled
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 package bucatini, macaroni or penne
- 4 oz feta
- 2 egg whites
- 7 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 3/4 cup flour, plain/all purpose
- 4 cups milk, whole/full fat best but low fat ok
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 oz Kefalotyri Greek cheese (sub Parmesan or Romano), finely grated
- 2 egg yolks (egg whites are used in the pasta)
- 14 oz Pastitsio No. 2 pasta / Greek bucatini (sub small ziti, penne or normal bucatini, Note 3)
- 4 oz feta , crumbled
- 2 egg whites (yolks used in Béchamel)
- 3 oz Kefalotyri Greek cheese (sub parmesan or Romano), finely grated
Meat Sauce Directions:
- Heat in a large pot over high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook for 2 – 3 minutes until onion is softened. Add beef and cook, breaking it up as you go, until it changes from red to brown.
- Add wine and and cook until the wine has mostly evaporated – about 3 minutes.
- Add remaining Meat Sauce ingredients. Stir well, bring to simmer, then reduce heat to medium / medium low so it simmers gently. Cook for 45 min to 1 hour until liquid is mostly gone, stirring every now and then. It should be a thick mixture with little liquid, not saucy like Spaghetti Bolognese (Note 4).
- Remove from stove and cool preferably to room temperature or for at least 30 minutes before assembling (lid off).
Greek Béchamel Directions:
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir for 1 minute.
- While stirring, slowly pour half the milk in. It should turn into a wet paste. Then again, while stirring, pour in remaining milk – the paste should easily dissolve so it’s lump-free. If not, just whisk vigorously.
- Cook, stirring so the base doesn’t catch, for 5 minutes or until thick enough so it coats the back of a wooden spoon thickly and you can draw a path across it with your finger.
- Remove from stove. Stir in nutmeg, cheese and salt.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes. Then whisk in egg yolks quickly. Place lid on and set aside. If sauce cools and gets too thick to pour, just reheat on a low stove until pourable.
- When you’re ready to assemble, cook the pasta per packet instructions, minus 1 minute.
- Drain, then return to the pot. Leave to cool for 3 minutes, then stir through egg whites. Gently stir through crumbled feta.
ASSEMBLE AND BAKE:
- Preheat oven to 180°C/425°F (all oven types).
- Place pasta in a baking dish (33 x 22 x 7 cm / 9 x 13 x 2.75″), arranging them so they are all going in the same direction as best you can (for visual effect when sliced). Make the surface as level as you can.
- Top with Meat Sauce, then smooth the surface.
- Pour over Béchamel Sauce, then sprinkle over the cheese.
- Bake 20 min or until crust turns golden.
- Cool for at least 10 minutes so you can cut neat slices with the layers neatly visible. Serve!
- 6oz Greek feta, crumbled
- 1/2 cup Greek yoghurt
- 2 pieces scallions , finely sliced
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg , freshly grated
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 package frozen spinach (block)
- 1 package filo pastry
- Melted butter for brushing
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Defrost and wring out water from the spinach.
- Place spinach in a bowl with the remaining filling ingredients. Mix well to combine.
- Layer 8 sheets of filo pastry on an oven-safe tray, brushing each layer with melted butter.
- Spread filling on filo pastry. Smooth surface and leave a 2.5cm / 1″ border.
- Cover spinach with a sheet of filo pastry.
- Brush with butter, sprinkle with Kefalotyri.
- Repeat for Sheets #2 to #5. Then cover with filo sheets #6 to #8, brushing with butter in between, but do NOT sprinkle with cheese (neater finish).
- Press edges down to seal.
- Crimp and trim if desired or just leave the edges flat on the tray.
- Sesame seeds: Brush the top with butter, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown on the surface. Cool in cooling rack.
- Serve immediately!
Click here for more recipes like “Greek Recipes that will make you eat like the gods”. You may also follow and subscribe to our social media accounts: Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, and Kumu.