In this episode of Splendid Kitchen, Chef Glo shares more easy-to-follow recipes. This time, she and her Germany-based guest Tom Schwartz make their kumu audience experience America through Herb Lemon Garlic Roasted Chicken, Cheddar Biscuits, Cream of Mushroom Soup, and Roasted Vegetables.
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 8-12 brussel sprouts, halved
- 1 bag fingerling potatoes, washed
- 2-3 strips bacon, sliced into thin strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 8 oz butter, softened
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp parsley (fresh or dried)
- 1 whole roasting chicken
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken stock
- Preheat the oven at 425F.
- Combine all ingredients for roasted vegetables in a large bowl and toss together. Lay in the bottom of oven safe pan. Set Aside.
- In a bowl, combine all the compound butter ingredients and make sure everything is well combined and homogenous. Reserve 2 tbsp in a small container.
- Using kitchen shears, remove the chicken’s backbone then crack the cartilage by the breast bone. Dry both sides with paper towel. Season with salt and pepper. Smear compound butter on both sides of the chicken.
- Set the chicken in the pan breast side up. Cook for 45 mins to 1 hr or until the juices run clear when the thigh is pricked with the tip of a knife and a meat thermometer inserted into the thigh registers 170 degrees.
- Cover with aluminum foil and rest for 10 mins.
- Arrange vegetables into a warm platter and carve the chicken into pieces.
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 oz unsalted butter, cubed and very cold
- 1 c cold buttermilk
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp buttermilk or milk for wash
- 1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons; 60g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon dried or chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
- Place the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Add the cubed butter and cut into the dry ingredients by rubbing the butter into the flour mixture until the butter is pea-sized. Fold in the shredded cheese.
- Make a well in the center and add very cold buttermilk. Use a spoon to gently mix it together until just combined. Don’t over-mix or you’ll make it tough.
- Turn your dough out onto a lightly floured surface, shape it into what you are making (some light kneading may be necessary) flatten with a rolling pin to about ¾ inch, cut into circles or squares and place it on a large skillet or sheet pan. Make sure the biscuits are touching.
- Brush the tops with remaining buttermilk.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- For topping, mix the ingredients together and generously brush on the warm biscuits.
CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 2 pounds crimini mushrooms, cleaned, sliced thin
- 3/4 cup minced shallots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Using a heavy gauged pot over medium heat, heat oil and butter then add mushrooms. Saute until lightly browned and moisture evaporates.
- Add minced shallots and garlic then saute for 1 minute.
- Add salt, thyme, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Puree soup in a blender or using an immersion or blender stick until smooth. Return soup to the pot, add cream and cook until heated up.
- Adjust final seasoning or if too thick, you can add more broth or water.
We would love to hear your feedback, please tag us @sweetspicesbyglo and @PalabasTayo on Instagram and show us your delicious renditions of this meal.
Click here for more stories like “Herb Lemon Garlic Roasted Chicken recipe as seen on Splendid Kitchen”. Make sure to follow and subscribe to our social media accounts: Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, and Kumu.