Halleloo, queens! This is a proud moment for the LGBTQIA+ community as drag entertainer, Shangela is now the first ever drag queen competitor on “Dancing with the Stars” (DWTS). Disney+ recently announced the season 31 celebrity cast and their professional dancing partners, while live in studio on ABC’s “Good Morning America.” The series, hosted by supermodel and businesswoman Tyra Banks and new co-host, actor and television personality Alfonso Ribeiro, returns to the ballroom with a lineup of celebrities including a platinum recording artist, a Real Housewife, a Bachelorette, and a drag queen superstar, to name a few.
In an Instagram post, Shangela (DJ) was very excited that she could finally share the wonderful news and is very “honored to be the first drag entertainer to compete in the show.”
The new celebrity cast will learn some new twists, tricks and kicks as the live show begins Monday, Sept. 19, at 8 p.m. EDT / 5 p.m. PDT, only on Disney+.
As announced on ABC’s “Good Morning America,” the celebrities and professional dancers heading to the ballroom this season (in alphabetical order) are as follows:
- Fitness model and actor Joseph Baena with partner Daniella Karagach
- Movie star Selma Blair with partner Sasha Farber
- Comedian, actor and singer Wayne Brady with partner Witney Carson
- Good Morning America contributor and WABC-TV New York’s weather anchor Sam Champion, with partner Cheryl Burke
- TikTok star Charli D’Amelio with partner Mark Ballas
- Heidi D’Amelio (“The D’Amelio Show”) with partner Artem Chigvintsev
- Country star Jessie James Decker with partner Alan Bersten
- TV star Trevor Donovan with partner Emma Slater
- Daniel Durant (Oscar(R)-winning “CODA”) with partner Britt Stewart
- Teresa Giudice (“The Real Housewives of New Jersey”) with partner Pasha Pashkov
- Vinny Guadagnino (“Jersey Shore”) with partner Koko Iwasaki
- “Charlie’s Angels” star Cheryl Ladd with partner Louis Van Amstel
- Jason Lewis (“Sex and the City”) with partner Peta Murgatroyd
- Drag queen superstar Shangela with partner Gleb Savchenko
- Platinum recording artist Jordin Sparks with partner Brandon Armstrong
- Gabby Windey (“The Bachelorette”) with partner Val Chmerkovskiy
After an impressive 30 seasons on ABC, “Dancing with the Stars” moves to its new home on Disney+, premiering exclusively in the U.S. and Canada this fall, and making “Dancing with the Stars” the first live series to debut on the streaming service.
ONE WEEK until we hit the ballroom! Who’s ready for a SHOW, baby?!? 💖 Really hoping to make all y’all proud. @officialdwts premieres Sept 19 on @DisneyPlus #teamHalleloo #teamSheb pic.twitter.com/eqh64VTL4d— Shangela (@itsSHANGELA) September 12, 2022
Despite a difficult moment in his life due to his Mama Deb’s cancer, Shangela stands strong. He is grateful for the fulfillment of his DWTS dream and hopes to make everyone proud. He says, “OMG I’m so grateful that this dream is coming true!! Me and my dancing partner Gleb Savchenko can’t wait to bring it for ‘y’all.”
Click here for more stories like “Shangela: DWTS’ first-ever drag entertainer”. You may also follow and subscribe to our social media accounts: Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, and Kumu.