Tanghalang Ateneo, the longest-running theater company of the Loyola Schools of Ateneo de Manila, will be showcasing in its 44rd Theater Season, Reformatio | Pagbabagong-hugis, a full-length adaptation of the classic theatrical comedy Tartuffe o Ang Manloloko as translated by National Artist Rolando S. Tinio, and directed by seasoned director Ron Capinding
Tartuffe follows the story of the pious fraud Tartuffe’s growing influence over socially-conscious Orgon and his mother Madame Pernelle which leads Orgon’s family to make the pair discover his hypocrisy and pretentious divine authority. However, a series of events unintentionally embed Tartuffe, once a vagrant, well into the family that they risk losing everything if he gets his way. Together, Orgon’s family tries to unravel the reality within Tartuffe and escape their family’s impending disgrace and dispossession.
In line with Tanghalang Ateneo’s 44th season aptly themed Reformatio | Pagbabagong-hugis, the retelling of this classic aims to underscore several issues, notably values in society instituted by people in power for their own gain in the struggle for power; when faced with deceit and hypocrisy, will the truth ever prevail?
Serving as the company’s sole production for its 44th Theater Season, the cast will feature Tanghalang Ateneo alumna Gold Soon (as Madame Pernelle) and members themselves of Tanghalang Ateneo:
- Yeshua Celebrado and John Patrick Noynay as Tartuffe
- Jurgen Excel Coyoca and Angelo Josh Cuaresma as Orgon
- Nicole Alexis Amansec as Elmire
- Kenneth Delfin and Noel Angelo Severa as Damis
- Jazzel Ortiz and Rhessia Banigoos as Mariane
- Ced Andrei Tolentino and Angelo Josh Cuaresma as Valere
- Lawrence Viesca and Lars Michaelsen Salamante as Cleante
- Maliana Beran as Dorine
- Alexine Patrice Ramos, Erin Anthonie Ty, and Angelica Denise Dabon as Flipote
- Richard Cruz II as Monsieur Loyal
- Luis Antonio Rafael Sumilong as Opisyal
The production’s Artistic Team is composed of the following individuals:
- Ron Capinding for Direction
- Tata Tuviera for Production Design
- D Cortezano and Rafa Sumilong for Lighting Design
- Carlos Hombrebueno for Sound Design
- Christian John L. Mercader for Sound Design
- Missy Maramara for Intimacy Consultation
- Rio Reyes for Graphic Design
- Katrina Bianca Andres for Assisting Graphic Design
- Pat Ong for Photography
The show dates of Tartuffe will be on 18 to 19, 25 to 26 March, and 01 April for its 03:00 PM showtime. Meanwhile, it will also be shown on 16 to 19, 23 to 26, 29 to 31 March, and 01 April for a 07:00 PM showtime. Tickets will be sold with a souvenir program at PhP 350 for non-Atenean general viewing starting 11 February 2023. A discounted price of PhP 280 is offered for senior citizens and persons with disabilities.
For other ticketing concerns, kindly contact Tanghalang Ateneo Season 44 Marketing Coordinator Fie Isungga at 0917 553 0695.